Thursday 19 January 2017

My 'Love Story' collection

This is a true story, a love story.
                                           

I am the only grand daughter to my maternal Nanna and Grandpa, and it's because of this, I used to spend weekends with them in their small 'two up two down' mid terrace house.

It was here that I learnt how to knit, make Christmas mincemeat and Wet Knella. 
It was here that I was shown true generosity. 
It was in this house I first heard this beautiful love story.

I would sleep in my mothers old bed room across the landing to my grandparents room. 
My grandpa would rise early every morning to do what grandpas did, when I would seize the opportunity to slip in under the eiderdown next to my Nanna, and wait.
It was never long before Grandpa would come back upstairs with a cup of tea, and a slice of Hovis brown bread, buttered and smothered in Roses lime marmalade, cut into squares, on a small green plate.  
This is one of my oldest and fondest memories of the devoted love of my grandparents.
My Nanna would let me share in a slice, and we would natter.

It was at the village church that she met Grandpa, who sat in the pew behind her to pull her pigtails, and when they were courting, he wooed her with a ribbon for her hair. 
A 'crushed' raspberry coloured ribbon. 
She was very particular about that detail.
She didn't stand a chance!

My Grandpa spent his 'idle' hours in the garden, where he grew roses. 
Every colour. 
Every scent. 
A garden full of blooms. 
Some he cut for the house, a display of his love for my Nanna. 


                                             

                                           
So when I saw the 'crushed' raspberry colour of this yarn, I knew exactly what I was going to knit. 
I was going to knit a Love Story.
Something I knew my Nanna would have adored and used everyday, something that evoked the cherished love between my Grandparents, and so the 'Love Story' collection of hangers and hot water bottle covers was designed.
A collection of lacy stitches, frothy picot edging, and an abundance of dusky pink damask roses.


The collection can be found in my Folksy shop
https://folksy.com/shops/thistledownandHOPE

5 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely story, your new collection has really meaning behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elaine.
    In sharing the story, I realised how much I miss the close relationship I had with them both, but more importantly just how much they shaped my life and what I do now.
    It is a story very close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful love story, it's lovely to have such a treasured memory.

    Popping over via the Folksy Forum
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jan, for taking the time to 'pop' over from Folksy and read my story.
    Suzzie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this type of blog.. happy to share your blog with my friends and neighbors... keep updating and keep posting.
    You can do something amazing.. Thanks a lot

    Sponge Wipe Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete